Thursday, December 11, 2014

Are Men Human?

Are Men human? This may sound funny, surprise or stupid to some people. To be frank even it was not a question to me few months back until I came across the true reality of our society. Around few months back, one of my friend faced an issue with his wife, I knew both of them and they were perfect couple. But suddenly the happy story turned ugly, they had an argument over his mother (70yrs old) staying in the same house with them and his wife wasn’t comfortable. When she asked him to find a separate house for his mother, he refused, next day she filed police complaint of Dowry and domestic violence against him and his family. I was shocked, today he is roaming around women
cell, women commission, court etc. trying to explain it is not dowry but a property issue. He got arrested and later came out of bail. I suggested him to file a counter complain, he said there is no law for man; I said are you fool, there must be some law later I came to know there is none.

One of my another friends who had this longtime girlfriend and was in a live-in relationship was quite upset, I came to know they are not going good and had a break. Fine, a relationship didn’t worked out, it happens. What I came to know is shocking, his gf filed rape case on him saying he had sex on false promise of marriage. He was tagged as a criminal in society. Again there is no law to safeguard him; from day one he is guilty until he proves otherwise.

Few more incidents hit me hard; a man in Bangalore was beaten like anything by public as they thought he was doing eve teasing. Everyone appreciated the act, but later police confirmed, he was just passing by and there was no case of eve teasing. Another story was famous Rohtak incident, where 2 girls were seen beating 3 boys with belts and everyone said it’s because of molestation. Later eye witness revealed it was a seat issue and boys were innocent again it was too late as society, media, police, army and my friends had tagged them as criminals and by that time they had already gone through lot of harassment and pain.

So, what’s all going on was the question in my mind. I learnt a term called Misandry which means “ingrained prejudice against men”. After reading articles around it, going through many data and laws, I realized that meaning of gender equality to me was wrong. I used to think that gender equality means giving better facilities, policies and laws for women as they are weaker sex, but I was wrong, it is the other way round. When I studied, I found that most of the law in India are biased and have specifically mentioned with gender that is “Women” weather it is domestic violence, rape, harassment etc. There is no law for Men if he goes through same. I realized that in all these laws, Man is guilty until he proves he is innocent in the eyes of society, media, police, court whereas I had studied in my 9th class Civics book “Every person is presumed innocent until proven guilty” as per constitution of India and it is human right. So, what happens when it comes to men?

Data from NCRB revealed in 2012 that 63343 married men did suicide in comparison to 31921 married women. More than 90,000 men did suicide in comparison to 44,000 women. Clearly it is double even we compare it with Sex ratio of India. But then there must be some action Government would have taken after seeing this data. Don’t we have Man Commission like Women Commission in India after this to look into why we have such a high number? Answer was “No”; no one is bothered to have Man Commission. So, do we have any laws for Crime against Man like we have for Crime against Women, answer was “No”. Ok fine, do we have specific police for Men like we have Crime Against Women Cell, answer was “No”.

Slowly I found that our society/government/UN is not looking for Gender equality but focusing only on Women that includes our laws, government (special policies for women), banks (with special offers for women), police (special cell), society (which in process of respecting women have started hating man, except man in their family), media (which project news in a way that man look guilty without investigation), with reservations in buses, metros etc.

So why it is happening, why are we thinking like that? Once again, I was taught in my school that I should not be biased with people when it comes to religion, caste, gender etc. But how come all my educated friends are forgetting that, why they are getting biased with Women when Crime against Men is way high in number with respect to Crime against women. They crib about politics when they try to divide society on the name of caste and religion but they clap when someone offers things for a particular gender. Will they realize this when it will be too late, like our forefathers realized it for caste and religion during their time.

Now when these incidents happen, we see National Women Commission, Government, everyone comes in rescue of woman but when a crime happen with Men do we have a National Men Commission to safeguard their interest, “No”.

Does Crime have a gender, when there will be isolated place or no streetlights are only a woman is unsafe or men do also have equal probability of being a victim?
I have a simple point to make, stop considering only women as a victim and Men as a Criminal/protector. Men are also prone to harassments, crimes and they are innocent too. Women also do crime, they also rob, kill and harass.  Does that make all women bad, “No”, similarly it goes with Men.

Treat Men as human, they do have basic human right. They also need support from government. Stop creating gender biased laws. Don’t let media influence your education. He should be presumed innocent until proven guilty, stop male hatred because even men in your families are equally prone to these allegations, crimes and harassments.

No comments: